Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Catching Some Zzzzzzz



You know what I love? Sleep. You know what hates me? Sleep. See how this relationship will never work out?

I'm what they call an insomniac. Sleep is very precious to me. I get, oh, four to six hours every night? Did you know a teenager needs as much sleep as a ten year old? It's true-- it's also, like, ten hours.

I get... way less than that.

Most kids in my school do, too, but that's because they choose to stay up till one in the morning. It's scientifically proven that teenagers are sleepier during the day, even if they do get a full ten hours sleep every night. No wonder you always see teenagers slumped over, heads-on-desk, snoring away whenever they can.

Now, the difference between insomnia and sleep deprivation-- insomniacs can handle the lack of sleep. It's when there gets to be so little that we can't function when we tend to go a little crazy. It's not easy to go through the day on four-to-six hours of sleep every night, but you can get used to it. I have this period once a month for a week where I can get up to an hour of sleep and that's it (oddly enough, during "Full Moon Week"). This is when I get sleep deprived. And me sleep deprived is basically me at my worst.

I'm snippy and grumpy. I'm exhausted. I'm short with everyone, I have very little patience, and I barely, barely censor myself. I'm not proud of it, and most days I can usually keep it under control, but today is not one of those days.

Sooo it's almost twenty after eleven and I've been woken up and there's no way I'm going back to sleep again, so I'm typing up this blog post, dead tired and barely coherent. So if this is terrible, I apologize. I'm just exhausted, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment